Celebrating Our History – Since 1896
The forerunner of the Hobart Golf Club (later to be Royal Hobart) dates back to 1896 and was known as the Newlands Golf Club and is recorded as being the first organised Golf Club in Hobart Town. The Hobart Golf Club was formed in 1901 and was located in the Sandy Bay area.
The degree of difficulty of the 18 holes at Sandy Bay was reflected in the scorecard. One par seven, four par sixes, six par fives and seven par fours totalling (for members) a par 80. Par for the Associates was 89!! To master the formidable task, James Hunter from Scotland was employed by the Club as the first Golf Professional ever to teach in Tasmania.
In 1915 the Club purchased 130 acres of land on Hobart’s Eastern Shore at Rosny, and the new course, on this land, was opened in 1916. Here the new Hobart Golf Club was formed for which we celebrate our centenary this year.
The honour of the Royal Charter was conferred on the Club in 1925.
Because of the accelerated development of the Eastern Shore after the Second World War, it was agreed, in 1956, that the Club should move to the present site at Seven Mile Beach, and 70 hectares of land were purchased for this purpose.
The course at Seven Mile Beach is constructed on sandy soil, of gentle contour in natural bushland only 20 kilometres from the City, near the Hobart Airport and beside the magnificent Seven Mile Beach.
The course as it is today was designed by the acclaimed course architect, Mr Vern Morcom.
During its time the Club has hosted a number of major Championship events, including the Tasmanian Open (1968, 1976, 1980, 1986, 1991, 2003 and 2015), Australian Amateur (1968, 1974, 1987, 1993, 2000 and 2006) and the Australian Women’s Amateur (1968, 1978, 1990, 1997) It is the only Tasmanian course to hold an Australian Open, which the great Jack Nicklaus won in 1971.
Royal Hobart can claim amongst its members some of the greatest players Australia has known. In the early part of this century, the brothers Bruce and Clyde Pearce won Australian Championships and Miss Elvie Whiteside won the Australian Ladies Championship.
Betty Dalgleish won the Australian Championship 1968 and became the first Australian woman to turn professional in 1971; was elected first president of the Ladies Professional Golf Association of Australia (LPGAA) in 1971; won the first LPGAA tournament 1973; as a professional, Betty represented Australia in 1979, 1980 and 1981, and was made a Life Member of the LPGAA in recognition for her work in Australian Women’s Professional golf.
In the present generation Mrs Lindy Goggin (nee Jennings) won the Australian Ladies Championship in 1971, 1977 and 1980; Victorian Amateur in 1973, 1976, 1980 and 1986; Australian team member, Espirito World Championship 1978; Tasmanian Amateur Champion 19 times from 1976 to 1991 and Club Champion at Royal Hobart 21 times.
Mr Peter Toogood was Australian Amateur Champion 1954; New Zealand Amateur Champion 1956; Australian team member in international events 1956, 1957 (Captain), 1958 and 1969; leading Amateur in the British Open Championship 1954 (sixth overall); Tasmanian Open Champion 1948, 49, 51, 55, 59, 60, 62, 66, 72, 78; Tasmanian Foursome winner 9 times; Tasmanian Amateur team member from 1948 to 1980 (except 2 years); Royal Hobart Club Champion 19 times and Club Champion at Kingston Beach (9 times); Huntingdale (twice); and Riverside (5 times).
Mat Goggin (son of Lindy) won the 1994 Australian Amateur Championship and is a multiple winner on the PGA web.com tour in America and Ashlee Dewhurst is the winner of the Australian Women’s Amateur Championship in 2011.
The Clubhouse at Seven Mile Beach was designed in 1960 by Hartley Wilson & Bolt Architects. It was opened by the Governor, His Excellency Lt General Sir Charles Gairdner on 12th October 1963. It was an important Building of its time with an estimated cost of £86,000. At a Special General Meeting in November 2014, members consented to concept plans for the upgrading of the Clubhouse. This involved the most significant refurbishment since its opening in 1963. The refurbishment included a new entrance, reception area, disability lift and toilet, renovations to the downstairs hallway, Pro Shop and male and female toilets and a total refurbishment to the first floor Bar and Dining facilities.